Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Auto/Truck Accident–September 11, 2013

Ever notice that just when you begin to think you’ve got it all together – bang – something always brings you back to earth.  Well today was my “bang” day. 

I have been feeling more and more comfortable and have been driving Fokie home from work every night and was just about ready to go try for my driving license.  So today we left and headed out to her house.  As I came down Kings Road  - just before the Grantham cutoff – it happened. 

There were about 6 cars lined up to turn onto the cutoff and I came up behind them.  I looked in my rear view mirror to see if I could move over into the left lane and pass them and there were two vehicles right behind me.  So I stopped, but continued to watch in the rear view mirror.

There was a huge truck right behind me and I could actually see the driver and realized in an instant that he was not going to stop.  Fokie said I said, “Bang” and they hit us.  I don’t remember saying anything, it was one of those slow motion moments. 

The car leaped forward and I had to jam on the brakes to stop it.  Luckily all the cars in front of us moved the second before the crash and we didn’t get sandwiched in between cars, just banged into from behind.

The guy who hit us felt awful, and Fokie and I were a bit shaken up, but other than that the only casualty was the little red car.  I didn’t even know what to do…so we called the service center and they took it from there and called the police.  They took forever to get there and while we waited a young man who worked for the car dealership where we had just taken the car yesterday for servicing came by and stopped and was so helpful.

And then George from the service center came and we were well taken care of.  And Dew borrowed the Tennis’ van and arrived about the same time.  All before the police man came riding up on his motor scooter.

It was just about 4:30 pm – and Kings Road is a major thoroughfare and we were the entertainment for this evening.

Just after we took Fokie home the fellow from the car dealership called to see how we were and we told him we left our umbrellas in the car and would come down tomorrow and get them.  He told us no – he will deliver them to us tomorrow.  I can’t say enough good things about Asco Motors in Suva!

All in all we were watched over and blessed.  The car can be repaired, no one else was hurt and the only real casualty was my desire to get my drivers license.

No comments:

Post a Comment