Saturday, May 24, 2014

Outing with Maraia and Selai Vuetibau–May 24, 2014

AGAIN!  The sixth time must be the charm!

After taking Foki’s boys out to Takalana it was the girls turn to go.  It was a blue sky day with just a few white clouds.  And off we went.  And the road doesn’t get any better, and in our little red car the bottom of the car is very close to the rocks, and requires slow driving.

When we got there the parking lot was completely empty and we thought we would be there all alone again, but as we walked down to the deck we found that there was about 15 Aussies who were staying out there.  They are volunteers here in Fiji.  And so it took two boats to get us all out to dolphin village.  So we were in the small boat with one guy and four Aussie’s girls and the four of us, Dew and I in the back row, a row of Aussies and then Maraia, Selai and another girl in the front.

The sky was blue, but there was a stiff breeze and the ocean was rather rough.  Not far out from the beach we hit a wave and the board the front row was sitting on went up in the air, but came down, not it the groove it should have sat in, but on the bottom of the boat.  And so they rode the rest of the way out on the floor of the boat.

It was quite a ride out, but when we got to the reef it was smoother.  The dolphins were there, but not in as playful a mood as they were two weeks ago.  But they do love to get in front of the boat and race.  It is almost impossible to get pictures of them, by the time your brain says, “dolphin – press the button”, they have gone back into the water.  But they are so beautiful to watch.

Then over to snorkel and with that large group equipment was short, so I stayed in the boat and gave the girls my snorkel.  They weren’t great snorkelers, but had a fun time bobbing around in the water.

Then back to see the dolphins and we got to see a couple of spinners.  All too soon it was time to head back.  And the waves were even bigger on the way back.  There were a couple of times that the waves were over our head as they came in along side the boat.  But our driver was a master at catching the waves and it was an exciting ride.

Lunch was good, stir fry and then they brought out what they called Samosas.  It was bread dough wrapped around spiced potato cubes and were they ever yummy.  Then back in the car to head back.  With only one stop – a Magnum break – and then home. It was another great day in paradise.

Oh, and I was asleep by 8:30pm and slept until 7am.  Does that mean I am getting old?  Nah!  Oh and one last stupid human trick on my part.  On the way back to the resort we did a bit of shell hunting and I had both pickets filled with our finds.  We came home and I dumped all the swim suits in to wash and then wondered what that strange noise was from the washer.

We had to stop it, take all the clothes out and fish for sea shells, before we could finish the batch.  And even then, I found two in the dryer that we missed.  Dumbbbbb!

No comments:

Post a Comment