Friday, November 29, 2013

Institute Dance and Service Project–November 29-30,2013

As I have mentioned before, it’s the end of the school year here.  Graduation is over, the kids are out on summer vacation and this week the Institute celebrated years end. 

All day Friday the Institute was closed – if they could play pool nothing would ever get done!  And the girls spent all day decorating the hall at the Samabula ward house, and the committee was out buying food for refreshments and food for Saturday’s service project.

And at 7pm last night the dance was to begin.  We got there a little before 7 and it was pretty quiet.  They are normal young Mormon adults – no dance can begin before 9:30pm and then they finally get in the swing of things about midnight – when it’s time to go home.  And that is exactly what happened.  By 9pm Sister Tennis was insisting that no one was going to come.

We left about 9 and there was a small group dancing, but they were enthusiastic and having fun.  After we oldies when home to sleep off our snorkeling adventure things livened up and E & S Tennis finally got the last of their charges home around 2 am.

Saturday was a service project.  They were set to clean the beach down at Suva Point.  The police recruits were to begin at one end of the beach and our group was to start at the other and meet at Suva Point.  The police recruits were in and out and off to their training before all of our group even arrived, but our group of young adults, all wearing “Helping Hands” cover-ups did a great job.

It is hot and humid here and we finally realize why everyone walks slowly here, it’s just too hot to hurry.  I think I must have lost at least 10 pounds in sweat – which was right back as soon as I got my bottle of water.

After the clean up was finished they all had apples and oranges and then Elder T and us went over to three fish and chip shops and ordered 25 orders at each shop.  We about cleaned them out.  Then we raced to the Primary school to get the volley ball and net and they were all headed to Suva Park to play on.

We hit Cost-U-Less and then headed home to “die” in our chairs and napped for a couple of hours.  They end this marathon of activity tomorrow with a fireside.  This is the Tennis’ farewell activity – they head for home in about a week.  When they leave, and all the kids are on summer vacation at the villages it’s going to be pretty quiet for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment