Saturday, April 5, 2014

Parry/Jackson Visit, Day 5–March 28, 2014

When you plan a vacation you have to be flexible – especially when it comes to weather.  So when it rained all night, and was still gray and rainy the next morning we thought we might have to change some plans. 

Our plan was to go up into the highlands and run the Upper Navua River – but as we were on our way we got a call to let us know the trip had been cancelled.  So we turned around and headed back to Suva and on the way did a bit of plan changing.

After a few phone calls we were able to get the hotel we had planned to stay in Nadi for an extra night, we re-scheduled the river trip until Monday, we let Elder and Sister Peterson know of the change and they also were able to make some plan changes and all of a sudden we were back in business again.

It didn’t take us long to pack up our things and we were off to Nadi a day early.  We would stay there until Monday and then if things looked good we would leave early and get to Navua in time for the river trip.

As we drove through Navua and went over the bridge we realized that it had been a good move to cancel the trip.  The river was a raging, chocolate colored river filled with logs and other debris.  Sometimes you just need to be flexible.

We had Elder Singh’s phone number and called ahead and asked if he and his companion were free for lunch.  They were eating it as we spoke, so we just made arrangements to meet them at Tapoo in Sigatoka for ice cream.  It was great to see him and to see that he is doing very well and is happy to have a normal companion and not to be stuck with two senior companions.

On to Nadi – not much to report on the ride.  We drove to Denarau and to the Sheraton Hotel.  We checked in and toured the grounds just in time to take beautiful sunset shots.  After our filming we ate at their seafood buffet and had window seats for the performance they have each evening.

As we settled down for the night we had some interesting happenings with the electrical system.  The TV’s in two of the rooms came on if you walked by them, and half of the lights were out in the same two rooms.  It took a visit from their maintenance crew to find out that there was a problem with one of the breakers and they would fix it the next day.  And by then we all just dropped into those lovely, soft, comfy beds and dreamed the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment